This baby orangutan named Kecil was born at Ohio’s Toledo Zoo on January 11. His mother Yasmin showed no interest in caring for him after difficult labor, he then was moved to milwakee County Zoo in the hope that surrogate MJ would take him, but mission failed. After that, he finally given over to 53-year-old Maggie at Brookfield Zoo, Chicago. And they seemed have bonded. Kecil is now doing very well, he has found love at the third time. Though they are bonding, it still need some time for them to build a stronger relationship, before that, they will not be put on display.
It’s really nice to see Kecil and Maggie playing in the video, they may not related biologically, but they sure have a deep connection to each other, good luck, Kecil!
1. Kecil, a seven-month-old baby orangutan
He was abandoned by his mother Yasmin after a difficult birth, and rejected by surrogate mother MJ before being sent to Chicago’s Brookfield Zoo
2. Kecil was given over to second surrogate Maggie, 53
She is now taking care of him having already reared one surrogate child in the past
3. Keepers at Brookfield Zoo say the pair have shown promising behavior
4. As well as playing together, Kecil has also been spotted catching a ride on his surrogate mother’s forearm
5. Staff at Brookfield Zoo say Maggie is the perfect surrogate mother, as she is relaxed and calm.
6. Kecil – whose name means ‘little’ in Indonesian – will now spend a few months bonding with Maggie away from prying eyes before being put on display