It would be a wonderful childhood memory to grow up with a pool, you can have pool parties in hot summer days, or have barbecue near it, a pool in backyard would bring so much to the family. However, not everyone could afford a house come with a fancy pool, thankfully there are always creative people show us how to build your own pool in your backyard! And they are way awesome than the usual ones!
This Imgurian’s dog died. He deal with grief by working outside. Dug a hole with the intention of building a concrete koi pond. He’s done a couple in other houses… no worries… In the next few months, his kid was born and the project came to a hard stop. The hole grew over… …until one of his buddies suggested he dig a giant hole and make a pool… he didn’t grow up with a pool, but remembered how much he loved them as a kid. Figured it be the best present ever for his new son.
Though summer is about to end, but it’s never too late to make your backyard more entertaining!
1. The Plan
2. The original plan wasn’t a pool….
3. So the hole got bigger…
4. And reinforced…
5. Leveling and marking pool edges for rough estimates
6. Begin plumbing for main drain and skimmer
7. Concrete pad pour and pump installation
8. Texas digging and fortification in mid-July
9. One of TX’s hotter never-below-105 summers
10. Still hauling dirt out of the hole – now bucket by bucket
11. Finish retention wall for pool leveling on sloped yard
12. Water discharge tank, two creeks and waterfall – skimmer to the left
13. Begin work on the grotto (or “Cave” as my son calls it)
14. REBAR! – 8×8 squares with #5 steel
15. Outside retaining wall with rebar installed
16. Rebar grid
17. Water discharge tank with rebar
18. Grotto rebar – for ceiling/shelf
19. Near final phases in rebar
20. Would rather dig, than cut, bend and tie rebard… anyday
21. Future swimmer
22. This is for reddit purposes only..
23. view from the greenbelt behind the home
24. Shotcrete day
25. When the day is done, it will finally look like a pool
27. Shotcrete application
28. Not quite done
29. Week after shotcrete
30. Discharge tank, creeks and baby pool after shotcrete
31. Retention wall after shotcrete
32. Other view
33. Shotcrete – view from the roof
34. Rock creation – 1 month
35. Get pool plastered by professional and fill with water
36. The “Cave”
37. Testing the waters
38. First time in – he likes it!
39. Last stage: Build a raised fire pit and invite good friends over with awesome cameras